Monday, May 30, 2016

20 Books of Summer Challenge

Cathy of 746 Books has instituted this reading event/challenge!
Although you can list just 10 (as Karen at BookerTalk plans to do), or 15 books. 
I will go for 20! (Perhaps a few too many, but we'll see!)
This event begins June 1st and ends September 5th!
There is absolutely no qualifying criteria, 
other than the fact that you want to read them!

I know I will be reading:


(1) The Disobedient Wife by Annika Millsic-Stanley and 
(2) How To Be A Good Wife by Emma Chapman
for Literary Wives on June 6th and August 1st, respectively.

All of these will complete the Little House series of books 
for the Little House Read-Along 2016 hosted by myself 
and Bex of An Armchair By the Sea!

for the Campus Book Club on June 4th

Note--Don't get too excited the image to the right
is simply the best image I could locate for 
the 25th Anniversary Edition. 
My copy is from the library and NOT signed! :)

by Laura Tillman 
for the Social Justice Book Club founded by 
Kerry at Entomology of a Bookworm
Shannon of River City Reading, and 
Shaina of Shaina Reads.
One book every other month and this one is for June 2016!


(9) Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed, Chunked and Spewed 
by Lawrence Carbuncle
(10) A Desperate Fortune by Susanna Kearsley
All of these are for the "Borders Book Club." 
It is the face-to-face book club I founded when I still worked at Borders as a bookseller.


(12) Circling the Sun by Paula McLain
Need to have this read by Friday, June 4th 
since I'll get to meet her at a book signing that evening! 

Okay, so 20 may not be such a tough number to reach after all! 
The books listed above are all those "scheduled" 
for my various book clubs, etc.
Now, to add to that!



(13) Ramie Nightingale by Kate DiCamillo

(14) Blackout by David Rosenfelt

(15) Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson


(16) Home to Woefield by Susan Juby

(17) Enchanted Islands by Allison Amend
This book was sent to me by the publisher for the Keep Turning Pages GoodReads group.

(18) At the Existentialist Café: Freedom, Being, and Apricot Cocktails by Sarah Bakewell
I won this book through a GoodReads giveaway!


(19) The Hemingway Book Club of Kosovo 
by Paula Huntley

(20) On the Far Side of the Mountain 
by Jean Craighead George
This is a sequel to My Side of the Mountain 
which I just reread and LOVED yet once again!
One of the rare times I can recall loving the
sequel just as much as the first book! 


My goal is to read and post reviews about each of these between June 1 and September 5.

Wish me luck!! 


Are you participating in this event? 

You can register and get details here!

And you don't have to try for 20. You can register for 10 or 15!

6 comments:

  1. Yay for Susan Juby! I loved that book!
    I've never heard of Smashed, Squashed..., but what a great title.
    And, can you believe that i forgot to take out How To Be A Good Wife before the library closed? I'll have to hope it opens back up in July rather than August (they told me it was possible!). Also, I had my review for The Disobedient Wife all ready to go for Monday thinking it was the first Monday in June. Silly me. But at least it's ready. :)
    Have fun reading all these wonderful books, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not sure about the Carbuncle, but it is definitely worth a try. And there's supposedly a dog...that must make it okay! :) I just started the first 10-15 pages of the Juby today! Glad to know someone else has read it and loved it! I was chuckling at all her plans to "create community" when she arrived. I hope they come to fruition, though the "hired help" didn't seem any too enthusiastic! :) Oh, know! Hopefully you'll be able to locate a copy of How To Be A Good Wife! That library deal is kinda cool, except that you only have what you have throughout the summer! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh boy, you have got fun ahead of you with How to be a Good Wife. I think it was tremendously under-rated because I don't know anyone else who has read it and it is so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Great to have your endorsement! I'll make note of that! :)

      Delete
  3. Looks like you have about as many 'already scheduled' books as I do, Lynn. Does make it easy, lol.

    Have fun at the book signing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make it easier, at least there is a foundation upon which to build! :) I love book signings. Always interesting to get to meet authors!

      Delete