Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday for April 24th!

Here are previous Smoke & Mirrors Top Ten Tuesday posts. 
This weekly meme was created by The Broke and the Bookish
but as of January 2018, moved to That Artsy Reader Girl!

This week's topic is "Frequently Used Words in Book Titles."
At least that is my specific topic!
The original topic is "Frequently Used Words In [Insert Genre/Age Group] Titles."

Considering that I attended the Christamore House Guild's 
2018 Book & Author Benefit Luncheon last Friday and heard A.J. Finn speak, 
I felt compelled to create a short post for this topic, based upon his presentation. 
We learned that Finn's novel, The Woman in the Window, is quite purposefully titled. 
(Okay, I admit I do love this cover!)
This title versus Gone Girl, The Girl on the Train, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...
well, you get the idea.

He insists that his protagonist, Anna Fox, is an independent woman capable of 
caring for herself while determining the cause of mysterious happenings and events...
she is NOT a "girl"! 
While she may well not be a "girl," having read approximately one-third of TWitW, 
I believe Anna to be totally unreliable as a narrator, and a bit of a mess!
But we shall see...
Honestly, until I heard Finn speak about this, I hadn't seriously considered the 
implications that could be inherent with such titles. 

Amy of GG is quite obviously a grown women, having been married for five years!
Rachel of TGotT is definitely no longer a girl, though she is rather 
an unreliable narrator, even if she is a grown woman! 
And Lisbeth of TGwtDT is...well...in my humble opinion, Lisbeth is a God. 
Perhaps a God unto women! She is 24 years old.
And she is definitely NOT a "girl"! 
I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo way before I had a blog for reviews, 
but I can tell you I adore all three books in  Larsson's Millenium series!
And my favorite part of all of them? Is Lisbeth herself...and Blomkvist!

I personally equate a grown woman being called "girl" 
with a grown black man being called "boy." 
Though I believe the latter is far more discriminatory and prejudicial than the former,     denoting much more inflammatory prejudice. 

Perhaps the idea of referring to a "woman" as a "girl" is simply a carryover from an
extremely patriarchal society, as was the U.S. in the past. 

It did get me thinking...

What do you think? 

Have you read any of these books or others with the word "girl" in the title 
when the person referenced is actually a grown woman? 

Happy reading!
--Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment