Sunday, February 21, 2016

February 2016 Library Checkout

February 2016
A great monthly check-in about Library reading hosted by Shannon of River City Reading!

I am so excited to have discovered and begun using the listing function on my local library's network site! I now have a list for the books I will check out and read for the Book Challenge by Erin 4.0, a "Diversity" listing, a "Really really want to read, once available" list, "Borders Book Club" (the face-to-face book club I facilitate) and a "Nonfiction" list! (My nonfiction reading last year was woefully low and mostly autobiographies. I will correct that!) I can add books whenever and then when I want to place holds, voilà! There they are--easy peasy! :)


I did slow down on holds, but now look at the amount of books I have checked out! 
And still so many to review on my blog yet! Yikes!! Okay, really, I love it! :)

Books Read: 
**Reviews/blog posts can be viewed by clicking on the title. 
If I have not yet completed a blog post, it will link to my Goodreads review.

1) Laughing Boy: A Navajo Love Story by Oliver La Farge
One of our Borders Book Club members who winters in warmer climes is reading this for her "other" book club and it sounded fascinating! It won the Pulitzer Prize for Novel in 1930. I am finishing this one today. I love the information it provides regarding Navajo beliefs and communication, etc. And it is not just a narrative of such, but a true depiction as played out in peoples' lives. Even better! My only possibly negative comment has to do with the fact this is written by a white male, Harvard-educated anthropologist...that opens up my mind for much discussion regarding authenticity... Research awaits! :)

2) Your Heart is a Muscle the Size of a Fist by Sunil Yapa
Oh, my goodness! I cannot believe how this book impacted me. Viscerally. Permanently. I want to know more about WTO, IMF, World Bank, etc., though I have a feeling I really don't WANT to know more because it would only make me doubt whether as a species humanity is ever going to learn each human is to treat each individual with respect, kindness, generosity...love... I can't begin to put my reactions into words just yet in the aftermath of this one. Everyone should read it, in my opinion! And this is one where the title and cover image are so symbolic of the story!

3) Bury the Lead by David Rosenfelt
#3 in the Andy Carpenter series.

4) Sudden Death by Davis Rosenfelt
#4 in the Andy Carpenter series.

5) My Son's Story by Nadine Gordimer
A selection for Book Challenge by Erin 4.0! Actually, at 52 pages in this was a very slow moving narration. I took a break and read a couple of mysteries, then returned and finished this one. It was intense. Rather depressing overall. And again, why must people die for social change to occur? *SMH* 

Currently Reading: 
1) Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
This is the March read for the Campus Book Club. I can't attend the meeting but was a bit curious about the book so will read and review... I am honestly surprised at how much I like this book! 

Checked Out, TBR:
1) Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs
This book was mentioned as one that Ivoe, Jam on the Vine's protagonist, was reading. This is a classic! 

3) Ana of California by Andi Teran
Supposedly a modern-day retelling of Anne of Green Gables. I typically stay away from retellings but for some reason was attracted to read this! Probably due to the Green Gables Read Along I completed last year!

4) My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem
The first book selected for Emma Watson's Feminist Book Club on Goodreads! :) This one is actually waiting for me at the library...the new and more convenient library from which I will do most of my library 'business' in the future! :) Actually, I'm picking this one up this evening!

5) The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King
The first in the Mary Russell series. She will be one of the authors at the CHG Guild Book and Author Luncheon in April. The 14th book in the series will be released in April. I own a couple of the books in this series but always try to read the first in a series before any others to determine whether I like it or not...hence the hold! :) One of my former coworkers at Borders loves this series.

6) Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
The only reason I am not purchasing? Trying not to bring any more books into my house for keeps! :) I am excited that 6 months have elapsed from the release date so I can obtain a copy through the local interlibrary loan network! I just can't imagine that this will not be a great read for me! 

7) Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed, Chunked, Spewed by Lance Carbuncle
A dog and his human are parted and trying to get back together. I'm bettin' I'm gonna love it or not like it much...of course, I'm hopeful it's the former! But, it's a dog...and his human... :) The Borders Book Club I facilitate decided to read this! 

8) Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit
Had to see what I thought about this one after reading Manno at Dilettante Artiste's review! It is touted as a feminist read. 

9) The Color Purple by Alice Walker
The second book selected for Emma Watson's Goodreads Feminist Book Club! For February 2016. 

10) Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
This looks as if it will be an amazing read!

Returned Unread:
None...yet! Although that will most likely change as I have resigned from my local library's Board of Trustees (Let's just cite "insurmountable philosophical differences" with a majority of the Board membership as my reason!) and will no longer have that enviable "no fine" perk! This will be a challenge for me, but may help me not get quite so "hold crazy" in the future...as I obviously was in January! :)

On Hold: 
1) House Made of Dawn by N. Scott Momaday
Pulitzer Prize Winner 1969. I intend for this to be somewhat of a companion read to Laughing Boy (first book on this list). Momaday is Native American, not just an "observer" and though there are three decades between these publications, it might give me a chance for comparison. At least more exposure to Native American literature.


What have you checked out lately at your library? 

3 comments:

  1. I love Kevin Kwan! He writes such entertaining fiction. And thanks to your thoughts about Your Heart I'm going to add it to my TBR and my library holds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am surprised at how much I enjoyed Kwan! Definitely want to read the second book in this series! I'm bettin' Your Heart will grab you! There were several times I felt I'd been punched in the gut! Let me know your thought when you read it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I feel awful, for not discovering this blog sooner. This blog is a bit of magnificence, nothing else.
    best-hand-mirrors

    ReplyDelete