Monday, November 26, 2018

Classics Club Spin #19!

#ccspin
I wasn't going to participate in this event, but then I saw Karen of BookerTalk 
had posted her listing for the Classics Club Spin #19, and I just couldn't resist! 
After all, we do have until the end of January 2019 to read this one! 
I have had mixed results in the past and haven't always finished these books,
but that doesn't mean I should try again, does it? Of course not... :)

Unlike Karen, I still have oodles of books left on my list. In fact, I need to revise my listing. Perhaps that will be an end-of-year task! 

12-3-18 UPDATE: The spin was #1 so I will be reading
      Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin!
                           Now to make that fit a category for both                              the ATY 2019 and PopSugar 2019 challenges on Goodreads!

Here are my 20 books for this spin:

1) Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin
       I loved Go Tell It on the Mountain and want to read this one! I own it, too! :)
2) At Fault by Kate Chopin
3) The Hours by Micheal Cunningham
      I truly know nothing about this one, but so many have recommended it and I have 
      read several references to it lately. Added bonus: picked up a copy in the Half Price 
      Books clearance section for $2!
4) The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens
5) The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
      Really feel the need to read one of her books! So many bloggers reference her work!
6) The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
      Have yet to read one of his novels. (I know, I know...) :)
7) The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
     Yeah, I know. Unbelievable that some English/literature teacher in my past never 
     got to this one, but I am very curious.
8) Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
      Can. Not. Wait! I felt drawn to this book and shouldn't delay reading it any longer!!
9) Freckles by Gene Stratton-Porter
10) A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter
11) Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
12) Mary Ann by Daphne du Maurier
13) Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier
      I finally read Rebecca for the RIP challenge this year and loved it!
14)  A Separate Peace by John Knowles*
      Read this at age 15, loved it, and am anxious to see how I feel about it now, some 
      40+ years later! :)
15) The Ship of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter 
       First read when I was 13. I loved it then and am anxious to see how it resonates 
       for me now.
16) An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser
       Read it at 13 and LOVED it! So dramatic! So romantic! So tragic! So sad! Wonder how 
       it will resonate for me now, some almost 47 years later. I am betting much the 
       same. Though I'm sure there are many similarly-themed movies and books, I thought 
       Woody Allen's Match Point (2005) was a well-done similarly-themed movie. Neither           of these works is uplifting in the least, but accurate, in my opinion. 
17) ...And Ladies of the Club by Helen Hooven Santmyer
       OMG! I absolutely loved this book when I read it at age 20! The characters were 
       living and breathing right alongside me! Definitely one to revisit!
18) The Cherry Orchard by Anton Chekov
       Read it for college and was rather lost. Oh, I aced the exam, but hope I can truly 
       understand it this time around, many many years later! (Sometimes life experience 
       really helps with that!)
19) Micah Clarke by Sir Ignatius Arthur Conan Doyle
20) Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
     Feel I should read it so I can understand the references made to it.


So here I go with another spin challenge!
Tomorrow I will know which of these 20 I will be reading and reviewing 
by the end of January 2019!

Plus, as a bonus I did notice that I have read quite a few of the classics on my original list and simply need to complete and post reviews for them! YAY!

How about you? 
Which classic do you wish to read or re-read?
Have you read any of these I have listed?

Happy reading!
--Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment