Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday for January 19, 2016!!

It's that time again--a Tuesday!!
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
Although this is hosted weekly, I participate only when I have the time
and am extremely interested by the posting topic!
These are some of my most recent TBR additions!
(I am definitely challenged to keep most of these lists to only 10 books, aren't I?)

Women and Appletrees by Moa Martinson, 

translated by Margaret S. Lacy

Jean of Howling Frog Books reviewed this title on the Classics Club website and I was fascinated with this book! (I admit the cover alone is enough for me!) Since I was unable to locate a copy within our local library system, I am purchasing through our local bookstore and will donate to our library once I read it. 





Laughing Boy: A Navajo Love Story by Oliver Farge

One of my good friends is reading this for a book club and I couldn't resist once I read about it! My husband picked it up from the library for me a couple of days ago! Excited!! 



The Harlem Reader: A Celebration of New York's Most Famous Neighborhood, from the Renaissance Years to the 21st Century: Boyd, Herb
The Harlem Reader: A Celebration of New York's Most Famous Neighborhood, from the Renaissance Years to the 21st Century by Herb Boyd

This period fascinates me and I have wanted to increase my direct reading experiences within the Harlem Renaissance era. I think this would be an excellent start! Although you might expect most such anthologies to be huge, this one is under 400 pages, so definitely a nice reading size! 
Image result for Owls: Our Most Enchanting Bird by Matt Sewell cover image


Owls: Our Most Enchanting Bird by Matt Sewell

I stumbled across a beautiful review of this and unfortunately, saved no record of that blog and am unable to locate again. But her reviews of this book and the one following hooked me completely! 



Front Cover
Wide-Open World: How Volunteering Around the Globe Changed One Family's Lives Forever by John Marshall


I just can't imagine this isn't a fulfilling and informative read!







Woman with a Gun by Phillip Margolin

Guilty of being fascinated by both the title and the cover image.
I have never read a Margolin and perhaps this would be a good place to start! :)


Image result for The Pecan Man by Cassie Dandridge Selleck cover image
The Pecan Man by Cassie Dandrige Selleck


Discovered a review of this on another blogger's site and found it to be a fascinating premise. I would like to read it. And it's more of a novella in length, so shouldn't take long to read!




Image result for The Street Sweeper by Elliot Perlman cover image


The Street Sweeper by Elliot Perlman

This is a chunkster but I can't imagine it isn't well worth the time! 
Again, discovered on a another blog...gotta get better at saving those URLs for posting!! :)


The Lightless Sky: A Twelve-Year-Old Refugee's Harrowing Escape from Afghanistan and His Extraordinary Journey Across Half the World
The Lightless Sky: A Twelve-Year-Old Refugee's Harrowing Escape From Afghanistan and His Extraordinary Journey Across Half the World by Gulwali Passarlay

I'm thinking this is one everyone living comfortably in the world should have to read. How this can not be both heartbreaking and so enlightening... Just released January 5th!

Image result for Such a Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry cover image



Such a Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry


I got onto this book and the next through Karen of BookerTalk. Here is her review of this one. And I LOVE this cover!


Image result for A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry cover image


A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

This looked like a good read when I was investigating Such a Long Journey on Goodreads! :)







In a Different Key by John Donvan and Caren ZuckerIn a Different Key: The Story of Autism 
by John Donvan and Caren Zucker

Due to release January 19, 2016. 

I want to understand more about this! This looks like a great read to give a comprehensive history!


Incidents in the Life of a Slave GirlIncidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs, with an introduction by Farah Jasmine Griffin

This book was mentioned as one read by the protagonist, Ivoe, in Jam on the Vine by LaShonda Katrice Barnett. (One of the best books I've ever read, especially Historical Fiction!) It struck me and I knew I wanted to read it, too! My husband picked this up from our library a couple of days ago, so I will be reading it sooner rather than later! :)


Image result for The Stars My Destination cover image

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

I happened across a review of this one yesterday that piqued my interest. Then one of my Goodreads friends who is a sci-fi guru gave it a great review! Plus, it would fit one of the categories for Book Challenge by Erin 4.0...so it is definitely under serious consideration for that challenge and also I'm curious! 




And thanks to a special MLK Day listing I discovered on Twitter yesterday:
221877

The House That Race Built: Original Essays by Toni Morrison, Angela Y. David, Cornel West, and Others on Black American and Politics in America Today 
by Wahneema Lubiano

Though released in 1997, unfortunately, I'm sure it is still readily applicable and pertinent to 2016... :(






My Face Is Black Is True: Callie House and the Struggle for Ex-Slave Reparations
My Face is Black is True: Callie House and the Struggle for Ex-Slave Reparations 
by Mary Frances Berry

My opinion on reparations has definitely changed throughout adulthood as I realize that government admission of such wrongful treatment is sometimes the only way to get the citizens to admit it...


108422

The Race Beat: The Press, the Civil Rights struggle, 
and the Awakening of a Nation 
by Gene Roberts and Hank Klibanoff

Pulitzer Prize winner for history in 2007. Gotta be good!




1211725

Erasing Racism: The Survival of the American Nation 
by Molefi Kete Asante

We can and must do this! Not just for a nation, but for the world!






2319745


Slavery By Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II 
by Douglas A. Blackmon

I should know more about this than I do. If we are unaware, we will not make changes!




22292727

Democracy in Black: How Race Still Enslaves the American Soul 
by Eddie S. Glaude, Jr.

I need all the insights I can get since I have no direct experience with this myself! 






Are you familiar with any of these?
Any of these also on your TBR list?

6 comments:

  1. I juuuuust started Democracy in Black yesterday (only a few pages in) and it seems like it will be a good read. I heard the author on NPR the other day and he was wonderful. Looks like you have a great list here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anxious to see what you think. You are so good about reading nonfiction. One of my goals this year is to drastically increase my nonfiction reads. I only read 5 nonfiction books last year and 4 of those were memoirs... YIKES! That is NOT me!!

      Delete
  2. interesting list. This book on Owls sound good

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read Democracy in Black, it seems like it is going to be a great read.

    ReplyDelete