Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday for April 19!

Top Ten Books That Made Me Laugh!
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
I participate when I have time and am interested in the theme.
(And once in awhile I "cheat" and publish a TTT post on Wednesday! Shhhh...don't tell!)
This week it is books that made me laugh!
I love to laugh and I love books, so it stands to reason I would 
doubly love books that make me laugh! :)

I will begin with my go-to series for laughs: Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series!
The most recently published installment in this series is 
Tricky Twenty-TwoA bit of confession regarding my reading of this book last year: I was finishing reading this book the morning after I had purchased it, since I hadn't quite finished it the previous evening. 
I was trying to be very quiet since my husband was still asleep. 
I was in the living room which is next to the bedroom and the door between these two rooms was closed. I was stifling my laughter and  was rather proud of myself for doing so! However, once my husband was awake and I bragged to him about my success...he responded, "No, I did wake up. You were laughing and it did awaken me." 
He had that look as if he had done his own eye roll at my boastful behavior! Hunh...but at least I get points for trying, right? :)

And, as of November 15, 2016, the 23rd book in the series, 
Turbo Twenty-Three, should be released and available! 
Just to demonstrate how obsessive I am about this series, I typically schedule the day following the release of the newest addition to the series off work so I can stay home and read it throughout the day, at my leisure. However, when that isn't possible, I have managed to read it that night after I arrived home with the new release in hand!
I did mention I love to laugh and love books 
and doubly love books that make me laugh, right?!? :)


One of the funniest books I've ever read is 
one I have never seen anyone else give much attention to: 


It was released in 2005 
and I read it years later.


Since I own it, I really should re-read and post a review here. 
It was hysterical! 
But I have always adored Crystal's sense of humor!
I don't believe he never recorded an audiobook of this one, 
but he should have!

In searching for that audiobook, I discovered that he did record an audiobook of his newest release, Still Foolin' 'EmAnd it has won awards! No surprise to me! Must try this one!

Speaking of audiobooks, there are two others that made me laugh all the way to work and back for many hours.

The first of these was 
Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir 
by Jenny Lawson
I listened to the audiobook four times 
before returning it to the library! 
It is so damn funny! 
(Note: if bad words offend you, especially the "F" word, 
this is not the book for you! Otherwise, listen to it!)
One of the funniest stories has to do with the cover image! 
This woman is hysterical and likable, all at the same time!
I truly respect her overcoming all the challenges life has presented to her.


Then I listened to Yes Please by Amy Poehler!

While this one definitely made me laugh out loud,
I found it to be a bit more poignant and serious in a way.
Amy Poehler is someone I would like to know 
well enough to call my friend!
I have much respect for her and all she has 
done for her comedic colleagues.
She seems like a down-to-earth real person. 




Books from two other series that 
always make me laugh:  
Alexander McCall Smith's 
No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
and the Isabel Dalhousie series 
starting with 
The Sunday Philosophy Club.

The humor in the latter series tends to be a bit more subtle, dryer, while the humor in the 
Ladies' Detective Agency seems more overt.

I also laugh at the Corduroy Mansions books, though the humor in these seem to be a bit dryer than the above two series.

I now own a copy of 44 Scotland Street 
and want to try this series, too!

I do love this man's writing!
I feel as if I am in Botswana or Edinburgh 
while reading the first two series!
He can create "place" so very well!

Another series that made our Borders Book Club all laugh was 
Carolyn Brown's Cadillac, Texas trilogy:
The Blue-Ribbon Jalapeño Society Jubilee,
The Red-Hot Chili Cook-Off, and
The Yellow Rose Beauty Shop.
Don't be fooled by these titles. There are some serious issues covered in these books,
but also tons of humor and hilarity!
Carolyn graciously granted us an interview, too! She is a Tex-Okie hoot!

 I cannot wait to see what others recommend!
Check them out here!
What humorous book would you recommend?
Please share your recommendations in the comments. :)
And happy reading and laughing!

2 comments:

  1. I like these lists - I always feel like a dud when it comes to books that make people laugh. It's hard to make me laugh when I read, but it *can* be done. One book that did it (quite a lot, actually) is The Woefield Poultry Collective by Susan Juby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my...I have never heard of that one, Naomi! But you are good at introducing me to new books! I'll have to check... Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete