Sunday, November 22, 2015

Goodreads Choice Awards 2015--the finals!!

As we enter the final day of voting to select only ONE winner in each of these categories for the Goodreads Choice Awards 2015, I feel it necessary to follow-up on my Semifinals post. How did I do? (Better than in the past!) :)

Remember, I will only cover the 12 categories in which I read and in which I actually voted: FICTION, MYSTERY & THRILLER, HISTORICAL FICTION, HUMOR, NONFICTION, MEMOIR & AUTOBIOGRAPHY, HISTORY & BIOGRAPHY, SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY, DEBUT GOODREADS AUTHOR, YOUNG ADULT FICTION, MIDDLE GRADE & CHILDREN'S, and PICTURE BOOKS.

Results to be posted December 1st! 

Inside the O'BriensCategory #1--FICTION
I selected Bill Clegg's Did You Ever Have a Family
It is no longer in the running! :( 
Having just completed reading Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff, I am aghast that it received so many votes. I am definitely one of the few for whom this was not an enjoyable read!
I'll go with Lisa Genova's Inside the O'Briens
Though I haven't read this one yet, 
I have read and loved all her other books! 
I imagine A Little Life will win it since I have seen so many absolutely love it as a favorite! And I can believe it might well deserve such an award from reviews I've read!

Category #2--Mystery & Thriller
I am really sorry that The Girl in the Spider's Web 
by David Lagercrantz was voted out.
I've read just one of these books and it was not that enthralling to me. The Girl on the Train was a good suspenseful book, but certainly not one of the best, in my opinion. but I'm going with J.K., uhm...
make that Robert Galbraith's Career of Evil.
Why? Because I can't imagine this series not being excellent! 
It's J.K. Rowling! Come on... :)
I suppose the Hawkins book will win. I remember I couldn't fathom all the pre-publication publicity the publisher pushed through the media for this one. I suppose they will win, though I disagree! :)

The Nightingale by Kristin HannahCategory #3--Historical Fiction
Another favorite genre for me! 
And a category in which the book I selected is still in the running...
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah! YAY!!
I still plan to read Circling the Sun by Paula McLain, 
A Desperate Fortune by Susanna Kearsley, 
and In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume.
Also must post review of At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen! 
And don't forget the Little House Read-Along beginning January 2016!

Category #4--Humor
Another category where my selection has actually survived to the finals! YAY again!
Jenny Lawson's Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things must be a hoot! I am still listening to 
Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir 
in the car and still loving it! 
H Is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald

Category #5--Nonfiction
  Yet another where my selection is still hanging
                       in there! YAY!! 
           H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald! 
And, of course, I still want to read all the others I've listed before!
But especially Between the World and Me and Missoula!


The Girl With Seven Names: A North Korean Defector's Story 
by Hyeonseo Lee is still there!! 
YAY AGAIN!!
Though Red Notice: A True Story of High Finance, Murder, 
and One Man's Fight for Justice by Bill Browder 
is definitly still high on my TRB list! 

Category #7--History & Biography
And it is still there--Pioneer Girl by Laura Ingalls Wilder!
Needless to say, I am thrilled, not just because I am so very interested in reading this one, but also because...tada! Bex of An Armchair by the Sea and I are co-hosting a Little House Read-Along beginning January 2016 and continuing throughout the year...one book per month! That's doable! 
I just completed a Green Gables Read-Along last year, reading one book per month and I enjoyed it so much I decided to duplicate the format with this series I have NEVER yet read! Seriously, how did I miss this as a young book-reading nerd?!? :) And, I would love to read all the rest!

Category #8--Science & Technology
Sadly, Neurotribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity by Steve Silberman did not survive to the finals. 
Nor did Beyond Words: What Animals Think and Feel by Carl Safina. :( 
However, both the Case and Sacks are still there! 
I'll vote for The Voices in the Ocean.


Darn! Obioma didn't make it to the final cut! Though that doesn't deter my interest in reading The Fisherman one little bit! :) Girl at War and Everything Everything remain, however, and my vote will go to the former 
since several bloggers I follow loved it.

Category #10--Young Adult Fiction
YAY! All the Bright Places by is still there and will get 
another vote from me!

Another YAY! Ali Benjamin's The Thing About Jellyfish is still there and will get another vote from me! 
I admit it is disappointing that some of the others in which I am so interested were voted out--Crenshaw and A Handful of Stars
Though I am gratified to see 
Robert Beatty's Serafina and the Black Cloak still listed! 
Have I mentioned the Little House Read-Along 
beginning January 2016 yet?!? 
You should join Bex of An Armchair by the Sea and me for this journey! 


Category #12--Picture Books
And one last YAY! 
The Day the Crayons Came Home is still listed 
and will get another vote from me!
Great to see that Winnie also made it to the finals!

If you voted, did your selections make it to the finals?
If you haven't voted yet, there is still time to do so in this final round!
These are reader-selected awards after all! Join in!

No comments:

Post a Comment