Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday for June 28!!

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Free choice of topic for today's Top Ten Tuesday post. 
This is almost more difficult than an assigned topic! :)
I am choosing to list my 
Top Ten June (into July) 2016 Releases
You might ask why I would select this topic, when we just listed our 
just two short weeks ago!
In that post I stated that I adore listing upcoming releases for which I am excited!
In reviewing my Goodreads "To Read" shelf, I noticed there are so very many 
really exciting-sounding-to-me titles released in the month of June alone!
I couldn't resist...
There are seven books to be released today on my "To-Read" List:
Image result for The Life of the World to Come: A Novel cover imageImage result for The Life of the World to Come: A Novel cover image
From the Macmillan Publishers website:
At once obsessively readable, 
philosophically probing, 
and verbally acrobatic, 
The Life of the World to Come
announces Dan Cluchey 
as a fresh new voice in fiction.

My immediate thought is that someone at Macmillan 
is a truly gifted writer, just to compose this sentence! :) 
I rather assume I would either love or hate this one. It is a debut! That always excites me!
(I prefer the yellow cover...)
NINE, TEN by Nora Raleigh Baskin
Four children. 
Their lives just a few days prior to September 11, 2001.
Each located in a different region of the country.
All strangers. 
Their lives soon to become intertwined...
I cannot imagine this to be anything but 
an eye-opening and soul-enriching 
reading experience!
Book Cover:  Since She Went Away

Since She Went Away by David Bell
Your best friend disappears without a trace.
All you can find is one lone earring.
Your son's new girlfriend
disappears...
How can that not be suspenseful?

I just want to know...everything!
And, as you know, mystery is one of my favorite genres


Beyond Biocentrism by Robert Lanza
Beyond Biocentrism: 
Rethinking Time, Space, Consciousness, and the Illusion of Death by Robert Lanza, MD, with Bob Berman
The Biocentrism theory is not a rejection of science. 
Quite the opposite. It challenges us to fully accept the implications 
of the latest scientific findings in fields ranging from 
plant biology and cosmology to 
quantum entanglement and consciousness. 
It becomes increasingly clear that life and consciousness 
are fundamental to any true understanding of the universe.
This forces a fundamental rethinking of everything we thought 
we knew about life, death, and our place in the universe. 
I LOVE science. I LOVE rethinking our perspective. Sign me up for this one! :)
Image result for never missing, never found amanda panitch cover image

Never Missing, Never Found 
by Amanda Panitch 
I guess I'm brave enough to read this one now, 
after having read and loved Room
I hope this isn't too creepy for my wussy self! 

I'm willing to give it a try... :)



The Fifth Avenue Artists Society


The Fifth Avenue Artists Society by Joy Callaway
Historical Fiction! YAY! 
You know how much I love it!
And add ART!
And this is a debut novel!
Yes, I am sooooo in! :)





How to Be a Person in the World: 
Ask Polly's Guide Through the Paradoxes of Modern Life 
by Heather Havrilesky
I honestly know nothing about this one!
It was selected as the July read for the 
Doubleday Goodreads Keep Turning Pages group.
Otherwise, I'm not sure I would read it, 
though I imagine it will definitely not be a waste of time
and might prove to be very enlightening! 
I have certainly had some wonderful reading experiences 
thus far in this group: Enchanted Islands by Allison Amend and We Could Be Beautiful by Swan Huntley. 
I was so fascinated by the discussion of Smoke by Dan Vyleta 
that I purchased a copy so I could read it!
They have also discussed China Rich Girlfriend (Crazy Rich Asians #2) by Kevin Kwan. This has been on my TBR list since I read and enjoyed Crazy Rich Asians
I really did not expect to like that one, but I did!
They have also read and discussed Nine Women, One Dress by J.L. Rosen 
and The Translation of Love by Lynne Kutsukake, 
both of which are now on my TBR listing!

Image result for underground airlines cover imageThen on July 5, Underground Airlines by Ben Winters, 
is due to be released.
Although alternate history is not typically in my wheelhouse, 
Shaina of Shaina Reads is enjoying it and...
there is a mystery! 
So, it is definitely on my TBR now! 
A world without the U.S. Civil War having been fought.
That certainly opens up a lot of possibilities!




The Muse by Jessie Burton
I knew the name Jessie Burton looked familiar somehow. 
Sure enough, Catherine of The Gilmore Guide to Books commented on my June 14th TTT post
informing me that The Miniaturist (Jessie Burton's debut novel) 
was her "favorite debut of 2014." 
Good to know! 
That book has been on my TBR listing for quite awhile. 
I thought it looked like one I would enjoy!
Now...to find the time to read it, 
as well as this, her newest release! :)


Image result for commonwealth ann patchett cover imageCommonwealth by Ann Patchett
I have yet to read anything written by Ann Patchett 
and this description sounds scrumptious:
One Sunday afternoon in Southern California, 
Bert Cousins shows up at Franny Keating's 
christening party uninvited. 
Before evening falls, he has kissed Franny's mother, 
Beverly--thus setting in motion the dissolution of their marriages and the joining of two families.
Told with equal measures of humor and heartbreak, 
this is a meditation on inspiration, interpretation, 
and the ownership of stories. 
It is a brilliant and tender tale of the far-reaching ties of love and responsibility 
that bind us together.

Just so you realize, there were another 20 books I've added to my TBR with publication dates in 2016...and that's just since the TTT June 14th posting!

Hope I could add at least one more to your own "I want to read that one!" listing! 

A Certain AgeWhat is the very next book 
you plan to read?

I have just begun A Certain Age by Beatriz Williams 
and am I ever LOVING it!
I won a free ARC from the publisher 
through a Goodreads giveaway! (Thank you!)
Ooohhh...and there is a mystery involved! 
Historical fiction AND a mystery! YES!!
Pub date? TODAY... :)


Happiest of reading times to us all!  Lynn

4 comments:

  1. Ann Patchett's books are so good, Lynn! I can't wait for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! Just another author whom I assume I would enjoy...just need more time! You know... :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the mention, Lynn! Did you read The Muse yet? I did, but haven't worked out a review yet. I definitely like The Miniaturist better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not yet read The Muse, Catherine! I have three books to read and review within the next week, so must concentrate on those for now. Perhaps I should read The Miniaturist first...

      Delete