Thursday, December 20, 2018

2019 Historical Fiction Reading Challenge at Passages to the Past


#HistFicReadingChallenge


I am determined to get back into the blogging game in 2019.
I made a restart in 2018, but not nearly as much as I would like...
The good news is that with all the exercising I've been doing, 
both of my knee joints are in considerably better shape 
and causing little to no disruption to my daily activities. 
Though per my surgeon, no jumping allowed, 
Though I honestly don't remember the last time I ever actually tried to jump! ;)
which is hosted once again by Amy of Passages to the Past.

There are six different categories:
Twentieth Century Reader--2 books
Victorian Reader--5 books
Renaissance Reader--10 books
Medieval Reader--15 books
Ancient History--25 books
Prehistoric--50 books

While I would love to think I could read and review 50 historical fiction novels 
in 2019, I am forcing myself to be more realistic! 

My goal is to read and review at least 5 books for the Victorian Reader level.
But I am really hoping to make it to 
the Renaissance Reader level with at least 10!

What are some of these books that I hope to read in 2019?
Wait for Me, Jack by Addison Jones
Wait for Me, Jack by Addison Jones
This is a historical fiction novel about a marriage
that has lasted for 60 years. 
Wow...that is unbelievable to me! 
I am anxiously anticipating reading this in March 
for the Literary Wives April 1st 2019 review postings. 
Please join us on Facebook!
Cover image for Night Circus


The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
I admit I have always been fascinated by this book and am very anxious to finally read it!
It happens to be the April 2019 selection for the 
face-to-face book club I facilitate! 
There is romance, fantasy, 
and this is also classified as historical fiction! 

The Home-Maker by Dorothy Canfield Fisher
The Home-MakerThis is the December 2019 selection for the 
Literary Wives online discussion group. 
I am quite interested in reading this one. 
The main character is a "stay-at-home mom." 
However, due to unforeseen circumstances, roles are reversed when she is forced to work outside the home to support the family, which now includes a disabled husband. This book explores the repercussions for 
her children and marriage in the ensuing upheaval. 
This is listed as a feminist read, so I expect it to be fascinating, given that it was initially published in 1924!
I wonder how it might compare to A Lady and Her Husband 
which we technically reviewed in December 2017, 
though my own review was not published until January 1, 2018. 

The Truth According to Us by Annie Barrows
This is the May 2019 selection for the face-to-face book club 
I facilitate and is another historical fiction novel! :)
(Wow...I may have 5 historical fiction novels just among those already scheduled for book clubs in 2019! Cool!)
I think this will be an excellent read!
Annie was the co-author of 
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
another historical fiction novel and one that 
each member of this same book club absolutely adored! 
That bodes well for this book! This is all about secrets!


The Shape of Water by Guillermo del Toro
Oh, my! I did not realize 
(or remember from watching the movie) 
that this is historical fiction based upon 
the legend of the Amazonian fish-god!
I cannot describe just how much I loved this movie and on so many levels! 
As soon as I discovered the book, 
I had the owner of my favorite used bookstore 
order it in for me! 
This is the book I plan to read on New Year's Day.
I just cannot wait. 
I am fascinated with the whole story 
from watching the movie 
and though I rarely rewatch movies, 
I will definitely be doing so with this one! 

So I know I will at least have 5 historical fiction books 
read and reviewed in 2019! 
Who knows? 
Maybe I will make that Renaissance Reader level with 10! 
And each of these can be used to fulfill multiple prompts
for both the ATY 2019 and Popsugar 2019 reading challenges! 
Cool!

How about you? Do you enjoy historical fiction?
Have you ever participated in this challenge?

Happy reading!
--Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment